Bid Modifiers in Google Ads get a bit confusing. How about a quick summary of the significant concepts:
- Set BID ADJUSTMENTS in these places: Demographics, Calls, RLSA, Location, Device, Ad Schedule, Targeting on GDN, Top Content on GDN & YouTube.
- The above are CUMULATIVE — percentages “stack on top of each other”. EXAMPLE: you set a 5% bid adjustment for mobile, and target your RLSA audience with a 10% adjustment. Ads to your audience on their phones will increase 15%.
- An exception is for LOCATIONS. If I set a 15% bid adjustment for Colorado (the state where I live), and 20% for Denver (capital city), it will NOT be 35%. Ads targeted at Denver will get a 20% bid adjustment because it is the more specific location.
- To completely EXCLUDE your ads from showing on a specific device type set the bid modifier to -100%.
- An ad group bid adjustment takes PRECEDENCE over bid modifiers set at the campaign level.
- An exception to the above rule occurs when you set a -100% DEVICE bid adjustment on a campaign. Any DEVICE bid modifier on ad groups will be ignored.
***So much to remember, so little time. I have checklists for every significant Google Ads topic inside AD SCHOOL — The Non-Course Alternative.***
↓ link is below ↓